Tony Maleedy is a leading Trichologist, an award-winning cosmetic scientist, an expert on hair products and the founder of Tony Maleedy Hair, a company dedicated to creating high-quality hair treatments.
Working as a Trichologist for over 25 years in London, New York and Manchester, Tony treated thousands of people with hair and scalp disorders, including many celebrities and members of the Royal Family.
As a hair science consultant to the Remington Corporation, Tony helped develop many of their most successful brands. He has also created hair products and treatments for many companies and organisations, including The Institute of Trichologists, The Body Shop, and EarthKind.
When not creating new products from his lab, Tony spends much of his time carrying out hair research at the University of Bath, School of Material Science. This research underpins the development of new hair products and the greater understanding of hair conditions and disorders.
How does the Juniper Scalp Therapy Shampoo work?
To make an unhealthy scalp healthy, three things need to happen:
1. Any scale on the scalp needs to be removed.
2. The level of micro-organisms on the scalp needs to be controlled.
3. Fast growing, and scale forming, skin cells on the scalp need to be slowed.
The Juniper Scalp Therapy Shampoo works in the following ways:
1) Removes Scale
The removal of scale is vital in returning the scalp to health.
The combination of therapeutic oils and gentle but highly effective surfactants in this shampoo loosens and clears the scale, leaving the scalp and hair clean and fresh when washed away.
2) Controls Micro-Organisms
A common cause of an unhealthy scalp is a micro-organism called Malassezia globosa yeast.
This fungus is always present on the scalp but when the level of the skin's natural oil (sebum) increases, the conditions improve for the proliferation of the Malassezia globosa fungus resulting in scalp itching, flaking, inflammation, spots, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, and other problems. Sebum is also sensitive to minor changes in its composition due to ill health, diet, stress, and hormonal changes - these all play a part in the health of the scalp and the levels of micro-organisms.
The Juniper Scalp Therapy Shampoo is composed of six natural therapeutic oils that eliminate high levels of micro-organisms, clear scale, stop itching, and reduce tenderness. Corn Mint, Thyme, Tea Tree, and Rosemary Oils have highly effective antiseptic and anti-microbial properties, while Piroctone Olamine is a strong anti-fungal that has been shown to have a positive impact on hair growth.
3) Controls Skin Cell Growth (slows the epidermal turnover)
This is fundamental to the success of the treatment and something other treatments usually fail to address.
One of the most common symptoms of an unhealthy scalp is that the skin cells of the scalp form too quickly.
Normally it takes about 28 days for the cells that form at the base of the epidermis (the outer part of the skin) to move through the skin and reach the surface (this process is called the epidermal turnover).
Once at the surface, these skin cells (which are now dead) come away when we wash our hair. When the scalp is unhealthy, the rate at which these cells travel through the skin increases rapidly. It is common for the cells to reach the surface of the skin in 14 days or less, rather than the standard 28-30, and in some skin disorders, it can be considerably faster even.
With psoriasis, for example, it can take only three days for this to occur.This increase in dead skin cells results in the formation of scale and live skin on the surface. When this occurs, the level of micro-organisms (which we all have on our skin) increases, causing even more scale to form. This skin is also incredibly tender.
The Juniper Scalp Therapy Shampoo contains Juniper oil extracted from coppiced Spanish juniper trees - it is this that gives the shampoo its distinctive 'burnt wood' fragrance. Juniper oil has a soothing effect on the scalp tissues, causing the fast-growing skin cells to slow down to a regular rate of growth, allowing the scalp’s metabolism to return to a normal, healthy state so no further scale forms on the scalp.
Key Ingredients in the Juniper Scalp Therapy Shampoo
- Juniper Cade Oil (Juniper Tar)
Anti-mitotic that slows skin cell growth. Has a calming soothing effect on the skin. Anti-microbial.
- Piroctone Olamine
Anti-fungal that controls micro-organisms that cause dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and other scalp conditions. Has also shown positive impact on hair growth in clinical studies.
- Tea Tree, Corn Mint, Rosemary, Thyme and Eucalyptus Oils
Fantastic natural antiseptics and antimicrobials that help to control micro-organisms. Strong anti-inflammatory impact, soothing and calming irritated, itchy skin.
- MEA-Lauryl Sulfate
The Gold standard of surfactants, this mild cleaning agent is made from coconuts and is gentle on both skin and hair.
Key features of the Juniper Scalp Therapy Shampoo per condition
- Slows the epidermal turnover (vital in Psoriasis treatment)
- Anti-inflammatory effect on scale and plaques
- Reduces itch/scratch cycle
- Calms & soothes over-active skin
- Controls the levels of Malassezia globosa yeast
- Proven to be highly effective for seborrheic eczema
- Contains the anti-fungal Piroctone Olamine
- Juniper Oil slows down the rate of skin cell growth
- Has a calming, soothing effect on skin inflammation
- Controls the level of micro-organisms that cause dandruff and other inflammatory scalp disorders
- Contains six therapeutic antimicrobial oils including Tea Tree
- Juniper Oil soothes and calms inflammation
- Uses a high-quality but mild cleaning agent that does not exacerbate the problem
- As seen on TV in Discovery Plus and Quest Reds 'The Hair Loss Clinic'
- Piroctone Olamine has been shown to have a significant effect in the prevention of hair loss and the encouragement of new hair growth in clinical trials
- Optimises the condition of the scalp for hair growth
- Allows more solution to reach its target at the root of the hair follicle by clearing
- Clears scale and optimises the condition of the epidermis
- Soothes & calms itchy, irritated skin